Air travel has dropped by over 70% since the coronavirus outbreak. If you’re relying on your car to make amazing summer memories, you’ll want the perfect road trip plans. Fortunately, we’ve got you covered. From snacks to activities, and even your dream lodging, the ideal road vacation is one short read away.
Your Destination: Salida, CO
Salida means “exit” in Spanish, which is a little ironic because once you arrive, you’ll never want to leave! Located in the Upper Arkansas River Valley, Salida is loved for its historic and quaint downtown. But don’t mistake this peaceful place for lack of adventure; the area is virtually surrounded by dozens of Colorado’s famous 14ers — mountains towering over 14,000 feet!
Even if hiking, mountain biking, or climbing aren’t your cups of tea, you’ll never run out of things to do. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the town’s beginnings through a visit to the Salida Museum! Or explore your new surroundings and book a walking tour. You can also enjoy bowling alleys, arcades, and mini-golf along the way.
Whatever you choose, Salida’s location alongside the Arkansas River is sure to provide, at the very least, an incredible view.
Coming from Denver? Your drive on US-285 S to CO-291 will be filled with scenic outlooks and, with the right road trip playlist, some unforgettable karaoke. You know what they say: It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey. Although, once you see your destination, your priorities may change.
Salida is about 142 miles from Colorado’s capitol, a trek that you can expect to take around 2 hours and 45 minutes. Make sure to plan ahead to locate businesses that will be open for safe and clean bathroom stops! If you’re not in a rush, you could even take advantage of some of Colorado’s gorgeous detours.
What to Explore
Salida has so many fun things to do, we’d hate for you to feel overwhelmed with options. To help you narrow things down, here are some of our top picks for activities to check out, no matter what you’re in the mood for:
- Take a hike
- Salida Mountain Trails provides an interactive map so you can pick out the perfect place to roam. Whether you’re planning to take a casual stroll or scale a mountain, there’s sure to be the ideal route for you.
- Get a bird’s-eye view
- Make a splash
Fun Nights Out
- Explore Salida’s Creative District
- Tap into your artsy side as you explore colorful paintings and historic sculptures. You could even find the perfect souvenir in one of the many artist-owned galleries or one of our favorites Opal Boutique for fashionable finds.
- Witness history
- Learn a new skill
- Patio Pancake Place
- Offering both breakfast and authentic Mexican cuisine, this local diner is a must-stop. Treat yourself to delicious food at affordable prices before starting a day of exploration.
- The Fritz
- This adored pub is the perfect pit stop for lunch. Their large menu means that even the pickiest in your party will find a new favorite. You can also opt for one of their many gluten-free or vegan options.
- Moonlight Pizza & Brewpub
- Salida’s take on the comfort classic will not disappoint! Delicious pizza and hot sandwiches are perfectly paired with one of their thirteen house brews on tap.
Your days will be full and your heart will be fuller as you take in Salida’s natural beauty and one-of-a-kind culture.
Where to Stay: Creekside Chalets
After long days of adventuring, you’ll want the perfect lodging to return “home” to. Creekside Chalets is your dream destination for a peaceful escape while keeping you in the heart of all the Salida attractions. Located slightly west of the picturesque town, the Chalets come equipped with our own gorgeous offerings.
A stay at one of these private lodgings gets you more than just a cozy cabin. You’ll wake up to sounds of the river, “peak” peak views, and access to a myriad of activities. Just minutes from Monarch Mountain, Creekside Chalets can help you start checking items off your bucket list before the sun is fully up. Rafting and horseback riding will allow you to explore in style, and delicious local food will keep you fueled up the whole time.
Even Fido doesn’t have to miss out on the fun! Our pet-friendly lodging will allow man’s best friend to come along for man’s best adventure yet. We’re confident that they will enjoy the trails, wildlife, and new smells as much as you will.
Our guests love the beautiful nature that surrounds the Creekside Chalets, and so do we. Because of this, we are vigilant in our efforts to protect the environment. Our cabins are filled with the finest recycled and green amenities. They’ll allow you to have all of your needs met, while not costing you a wink of sleep over fears for the Earth.
We’re confident that your trip to Salida will be unforgettable — just don’t forget to book a stay at the best lodging the area has to offer! Contact us today to learn more or to reserve your cabin. Happy travels!