Located near Buena Vista in the beautiful Arkansas Valley awaits the small mountain town of Salida, Colorado. Salida has so much to offer, from the picturesque accommodations at Creekside Chalets to the friendly locals who make you feel right at home, you cannot help but visit again and again. When you come to visit and stay for the holidays in this beautiful area, you have the chance to experience the rich variety of locally made goods which are unique to the surrounding culture. You will discover some of the best products Colorado has to offer when you discover Salida.
Food and Drink
- The Beekeeper’s Honey Boutique. Check out all the delicious goods the local bees have made! You can choose from different types of pure, unfiltered Colorado honey, creamed honey in a variety of flavors, and even chunks of honeycomb. Enjoy a variety of honey candies and caramels as well!
- Don’t Go Nuts. This family-owned brand of snack foods started in Salida and is known for their snack bars and “nut butter” type spreads which are entirely free from nuts, gluten, and genetically modified organisms. They understand that it can be scary when you have a child with nut allergies, and the local company is committed to making a difference. You can find their products are available in any of the grocery stores in Salida or online when you return home.
- Here’s the Scoop. Tucked away in a little storefront in Salida is this delicious ice cream shop. Here’s the Scoop makes all its ice cream from scratch and offers homemade cones, malts, and shakes. Be sure to stop in for a sweet treat when you are in town!
- Mountain Spirit Gallery Wine Shop. This is more than just one stop shopping! Explore a wonderful shop bursting with local art and jewelry for sale, as well as a fine selection of Native American Silver. Enjoy a complimentary wine-tasting when you stop in and bring home a Colorado wine. Winery tours and tastings are also available at this location.
- Wood’s High Mountain Distillery. If you are a fine alcohol connoisseur or just curious about how it is made, you can come to Wood’s Distillery for a free tour of their operation. Stop in for a sample of their high-end whiskey, made right here in Salida, and purchase a bottle (or two!) to bring home and share.
Clothing and Gifts
- Brice Turnbull Studies, LLC. This unique shop has beautiful, custom lighting options from sconces to pendants and chandeliers. All products are glass blown right in the studio where he imagination is transformed into beautiful works of art. Choose from a selection of finished works or commission a personal, one-of-a-kind souvenir to light up your home.
- Drift & Amble. This cute store offers pre-made and made-to-order screen-printed souvenir clothing and other locally crafted gifts and goodies. The small, independent printing and design company is located in downtown Salida.
- Eye Candy. This shop boasts a unique collection of art and jewelry made by local artists. You will also find unique items such as handmade drums and vintage pinup-girl art along with blown glass and iron works. Eye Candy is a must see, and the place to be if you are looking to purchase from a local artist.
- Fattees. Another clothing-oriented gift shop, Fattees offers screen printing, T-shirts, hoodies, and more. They are unique in their service of producing clothing with designs from local artists. It is the perfect place to grab yourself a souvenir or a gift for a friend back home.
- Hallmark Ranch. You will not want to miss out on this unique Salida experience! You can tour the Alpaca farm at Hallmark Ranch where they sell wool clothing and yarn made from the local Alpacas.
- J2 Software. In a small store centralized around polar fleece-wear, owner Julie Jackson boasts her skills with homemade goods. You can even come in for measurements where you choose your color and style and she will make you a garment fitted specifically for you.
Local Sporting Goods
- Badfish SUP. Any outdoors sports fan will enjoy stand-up paddle boarding on the nearby Arkansas River. Badfish SUP crafts their paddle boards right in Salida, and their quality is unsurpassed. You can choose from a variety of inflatable or wooden boards, accessories, and fishing supplies at their storefront.
As a small mountain town, Salida has much to offer. A wide variety of shops and a historic downtown area ensure a great selection of locally made gifts and food. After spending the afternoon browsing the work of the local artists and artisans, you can get into the holiday spirit by The unique gifts are bountiful and beautiful. The natural beauty of the town combined with the charm of the mountains and forests will make you fall in love with this place and make it so you never want to leave, and with a piece of Salida to take with you, you never really have to.