Often times skiing with a group is challenging due to varying levels of skiers who are together. You may have a variety of beginners to experts and everything in between. This doesn’t need to stop everyone from enjoying the Colorado skiing experience. If you know what you need and prepare, Everyone is sure to have a memorable time.
- Don’t rely on your friends to teach you to ski. This is even more important for first-timers. While your friends may want you to learn how to ski, they may get bored and try to get you doing stunts that you are not comfortable with yet.
- Plan a tour. You can opt to do it as a group and get discounts which will make it more affordable for your group. Remember, you want it to be fun and exciting and getting an expert to help navigate the mountain will come in handy for you and your group. We recommend booking a lesson or group tour with a guide seven days in advance of your trip. Monarch Mountain offers a variety of lessons for all ages.
- Try something new. Unique to Monarch Mountain, Cat Skiing is a perfect opportunity for groups to have a once in a lifetime experience. Climb aboard your own private snowcat and experience a guided backcountry tour like none other. Most tours include meals in the private yurt and can accommodate up to twelve people for a “Full Cat” adventure. If your group is coming during the weekend, check out the new Monarch Mountain Tubing Park! Perfect for a break from the slopes, tubing sessions are an hour long and available every ¼ hour
- Get the Gear. Make sure to set your group up for success. Above all, you need to ensure that you have the right equipment for skiing. Having the right gear can prevent injury and ruining the trip for your entire group. There are many rental places right in Salida that offer rentals, custom boot fitting and offer the latest gear. Be sure to ask for group rental rates for extra discounts. Salida Mountain Sports offers demo rentals of the top of the line gear to “try before you buy” and Mt. Shavano Ski and Snowboard Shop even have an Express Reservation Line to ensure that everyone gets what they need without waiting in line.
Tips to Consider Before Going Skiing
While there are lots of factors that you need to bear in mind before you plan your skiing trip, there are three that should not be ignored. This way, you will always be prepared when planning for your ski trip with your friends.
- Location. Choosing the right resort is key to the success of your group trip. Conveniently located just 30 minutes from Salida, Colorado, Monarch Mountain has everything your group needs to enjoy the Rocky Mountains. After a day on the slopes, you can experience all that Salida has to offer. Check out our Downtown Guide for more information on the great local scene in Salida.
- Weather. Remember to be aware of the temperature fluctuation based on the altitude. The higher the mountain, the more unpredictable weather can be. An extreme climate can be distressing for inexperienced skiers. If coming from lower elevations, be prepared to have a lot of water and even extra oxygen on hand to avoid altitude sickness for those unaccustomed to the higher elevations.
- Equipment. As mentioned earlier, it’s essential to get the right equipment as it’ll determine the outcome of your groups’ experience. Proper ski equipment is costly but can make or break the trip for people who don’t own their own. Make sure everyone in the group is fitted by a professional for boots and skis and above all, don’t forget a helmet!
Stay and Ski Packages
Creekside Chalets has made it easier than ever to plan your trip. As a proud preferred lodging partner of Monarch Mountain, Creekside Chalets and Cabins is happy to announce the arrival of new Ski & Stay Packages for the 2018-2019 season. Our ten-acre property boasts nine cabins from one to three bedrooms and is just nine miles Northwest of the ski resort. When you book one of our one-bedroom chalets from Sunday through Thursday for a minimum of two nights, you’ll be able to take advantage of discounted lift tickets and lodging!
Don’t worry – if you want to bring the kids along, we can add on discounted Teen and Junior tickets to the Ski and Stay Adult packages. Winter vacations can be expensive – so let us help make it easier for you to enjoy a mountain adventure.
If your group is 20 or more we recommend contacting the group sales coordinator at Monarch Mountain. They can provide you with great packages that include rentals, lift tickets and lessons, not to mention a private area to store all of your group’s gear.
What are you waiting for? Book your Salida ski vacation today!